My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

ON TO CAPITAL VOLUME I


Now that I have recovered from my big trip west and have finished doing the family taxes, it is time to prepare for Lecture Four.  As I indicated at the end of Lecture Three, I must confront the conundrum of Capital Volume I, and more particularly the mystifying opening chapters.  Why did Marx write that way?  Quite naturally, I shall start with the famous opening sentence of Pride and Prejudice.  This will lead me to a story about the Cub Scouts, followed by reflections on the Altar and the Throne.  Then, as you might anticipate, I shall pay an imaginary visit to my local supermarket, all of which will enable me to explicate the opening two sentences of Chapter One of Volume I of Capital.  Everyone ready?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, can't wait.

Anonymous said...

I'm learning so much with this entire series. Can't wait for Lecture 4!

TheDudeDiogenes said...

Sounds quite intriguing indeed, Prof!

Unknown said...

yes, ready!