My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 4, 2016

THE OLD PHILOSOPHER TRIES AND FAILS TO STRIKE A BLOW FOR FREEDOM

When I got up this morning, I found a message from a friend with whom I canvassed door to door the week before the election.  He told me there was a critical need for volunteers to help recount 90,000 ballots in Durham County by 7 pm tomorrow evening in order to stop the Republican from stealing Roy Cooper's victory over Republican governor Pat McCrory.  It is a complicated story, but the short of it is that if the ballots are not all counted by 7 pm tomorrow, the election can be thrown into the State Legislature and stolen.  Cooper currently leads by more than 10,000 votes and his lead is growing as the last ballots are counted.

So I kissed my wife goodbye, jumped into my car, and raced down to 210 North Roxboro Street where the Durham County Board of Elections is situated.  The first sign that something was wrong was the sizeable parking lot next to the building, which was totally full.  I parked across the street, walked over, and entered the building.

I presented myself to the nice lady behind the reception table, feeling extremely virtuous and civic-minded, and said I was there as a volunteer to help count the ballots.  At that point the woman in charge of the recount walked by and said they had so many volunteers there was no more room.  She gave me her number and said to call back at noon, but I know a rejection when I get one.  Oh, I'll call, but pretty obviously I was just another Johnny-Come-Lately.  Apparently the line to volunteer started forming at 7 am, even though the building did not open until 9.

Who knows?  Maybe I won't have to live into my nineties to see some signs of progress.

2 comments:

Jerry Fresia said...

I like Paul Robeson but this is the blog that is balm for the soul!

Unknown said...

Just a note to let you know that professorwatchlist.org seems to be functional again. I had the honor of submitting your name, Dr. Wolff, on suspicion that you have a radical anti-Trump agenda.