My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

THE SECRET LIFE OF ROBERT P WOLFF

While waiting at the doctor's office for the Physician's Assistant to come in and consult with me about my polymyalgia rheumatica [don't ask], I managed to hit on the perfect way to summarize in thirty minutes the work I have done on Marx over the past forty years.  The experience put me in mind of James Thurber's classic short story.

Now, if I could only figure out a way to work "pocketa pocketa pocketa" into my talk.

4 comments:

Michael Llenos said...

Sounds so surreal. If it truly was this way with your Marx research, then really its the casualties of your PhD, which is a small price to pay for your PhD. If I ever in the best of possible worlds had a PhD, I would be shoving it in everybody's face! That would be the justified price of growing cynical. There are more Walter Mittys out there than there are John Nash's. If one gets a PhD or wins a Nobel Prize, I think one would feel special no matter how disappointed with any particular point of one's life one became.

Ian J. Seda Irizarry said...

Professor I'm crossing my fingers that your next adventures with recording and uploading lectures will be related to Marx, cheers!

Robert Paul Wolff said...

I could do that if I could figure out how to integrate a blackboard into me recording setting.

Unknown said...

Best wishes from Europe. I hope as Ian says that you will be soon uploading those lectures about Marx (Irizarry?.Basque?). Talking about Hillary Clinton it brings to my mind the idea that the "System" always gives us a "poisoned candy" to think there is still some hope of social transformation. Here in Europe, for instance, is what happens with movements as Syriza or Podemos...Société du spectacle, empty noise and fiction of dissidence. Salut and all the best.