My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 2, 2016

PATHOLOGICAL NARCISSISM

One of the many things that an aging self-involved philosopher can do on a lazy Saturday afternoon during this interminable four-day weekend is to Google himself.  Google, ever ready to cooperate in the more widespread pathologies, will tell you not only how many sites you appear on but whom else those who searched for you also searched for.  [The degree of cross-correlating of data implied by this is staggering.]

Here is my list:  Immanuel Kant, Karl Marx, Barrington Moore, Jr., John Stuart Mill, Michael Friedman, Herbert Marcuse, Clarence Irving Lewis, Ronald Dworkin, Willard Van Orman Quine, Georg Friedrich Hegel, Saul Kripke, Milton Friedman.

Does anyone know whom Michael Friedman is?  Hegel?  How did he get in there?


11 comments:

Matt said...

I can't say for sure this is who is meant, but I'd guess that the Michael Friedman meant is this guy - https://philosophy.stanford.edu/people/michael-friedman

I really liked his book on Kant and the Exact Sciences (and also his book on logical positivism.) I would guess that the connection is as Kant scholars.

J. W. F. said...

You mentioned Friedman in this post: http://robertpaulwolff.blogspot.com/2013/03/why-do-we-read-great-philosophers.html

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Good God! I really am losing it. My profound apologies to Professor Friedman. I had better pack it up.

Chris said...

If it makes you feel better, I'm practically 1/3rd your age, read that 2013 post, and then when I saw "Michael Friedman" in today's post said to myself "Who the hell is Michael, I thought his name was Milton!?".

No offenses intended toward Michael Friedman!

Emma said...

"The third chapter sketches, in a rather impressionistic, Hegelian way, the reasons for my lingering hope that a solution can be found;" Is my guess for Hegel. But then, I have (yet) only read in defense of anarchism. And no Hegel. But at least it's a reference :)

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Emma, I am blanking. Where did I say that?

Emma said...

In the short preface to "in defense of anarchism", third paragraph, I found it. It is signed New York City, March 1970. I realized now I just assumed you wrote it however since it is not signed by anyone else... The copy I found at the anarchist library, here:

http://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/robert-paul-wolff-in-defense-of-anarchism

Robert Paul Wolff said...

sigh. Yes, that was me. Oh well, when you write something forty-five years ago, I suppose you cen be forgiven for forgetting it. :)

Emma said...

Indeed! And it was in no way meant as an accusation, merely a possible explanation as to why people google hegel in relation to you. Also, I only happen to know it because I am recently using your book, otherwise I probably would never even have thought of it neither.

Matt said...

Oh well, when you write something forty-five years ago, I suppose you cen be forgiven for forgetting it. :)

I'm not yet capable of having written something forty-five years ago, but I'll admit that I forget having read books all of the time, only to take them off my shelf and find them full of my notes in the margins. It does sometimes make me worry that I may be recycling other people's ideas without realizing it more than inevitably happens.

John DoePe said...

In the 'funny but not really funny actually kind of sad' category... I was googling one of the two professors I learned things from a couple of decades ago at UMass and when discovering Bob Ackerman had passed I googled the other professor and found his blog post about googling himself. Cheers Professor Wolff!

Seth H.