My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Friday, August 14, 2015

PREPPING FOR THE FUTURE


While eating my lunch today, I channel-surfed, as is my wont, and stumbled on the splendid 1999 movie version of Jane Austen's Mansfield Park made by the Canadian director Patricia Rozema, with none other than Harold Pinter playing Sir Bertram.  Rozema was influenced in her interpretation  by Edward Said's fascinating essay on the novel.  Some years ago, I gave a talk on the subject at the Washington D.C. branch of the Osher Life Long Institute, by invitation of my sister, who regularly teaches advanced courses in the OLLI program on molecular biology and evolutionary genetics.

In the Spring, I shall once again be teaching at UNC in the Philosophy Department.  This time my theme is Ideological Critique, and I plan to do a segment in the course on the Austen novel, the movie, and the Said essay as a case study in ideological critique.  I am proud to say that I knew Ed Said during my years at Columbia, though less well than I would have liked. 

I shall actually show the movie in class -- the first time in my entire teaching career that I have done such a thing.  In my odd way, I think it is cheating to show a movie in class, because it relieves me of the necessity of preparing for that two hours or so.  The students will probably be quite pleased, although I am sure they would prefer something a bit trendier.

2 comments:

Nick said...

I'm sure they will love it. I watched it after you recommended it here some years ago and it's now my favorite Austen movie (though I keep putting off learning more about Lord Mansfield). I also love Rozema's "I've Heard the Mermaids Singing" and wish she had done more movies. Also, Harold Pinter is amazing.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

If you wish to see a cinematic representation of Lord Mansfield, take a look at the recent movie BELLE, which deals with another very important slavery case that he decided. It is a very moving film.