My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 26, 2013

STILL RECOVERING

More than a week later, I am still recovering from this wretched cold.  Nevertheless, this morning I decided to take my four mile walk.  My computer, which claims to know the temperature outside my apartment, said it was 32 degrees, so out came the long thermal underwear, the turtleneck shirt, the sweater, the long workout pants, the hoodie and the gloves.  Off I went, looking like nothing so much as the Pillsbury Doughboy in Ghostbusters.  Not surprisingly, I did not see a single person walking, jogging, running, or cycling.  But the walk went well, and I assume that I am indeed getting better, albeit slowly.

Meanwhile, I am practicing Mozart's C Major viola quintet, K515, in order to join an existing quartet for an evening next week.  Even in a Mozart quintet the second viola plays a good deal of what we in the game call sewing machine music [repeated eighths for four or eight bars, as a support for the interesting stuff being played by everyone else.]  Oh well, you have to start somewhere.

I am making strenuous efforts to find quartet mates.  It is dawning on me that even in Chapel Hill, a protected outpost of sanity and progressive politics in an increasingly insane North Carolina, there are not that many people who play amateur chamber music.  During all the years I lived in Western Massachusetts, I was only dimly aware how unusual a place it is. 

I am keeping track of my two predictions -- that there will be no more shutdown or debt limit crises, and that the flap over the botched runout of the insurance exchanges will evaporate -- and I shall revisit them when appropriate either to trumpet my wisdom or to eat crow.

No comments: