My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 10, 2011

UNPUBLISHED BOOK

In the summer of 1962, as readers of my Autobiography know, I wrote a short book called The Rhetoric of Deterrence, growing out of my struggles in the nuclear disarmament movement. I was unable to get it published [Harvard thought it was too political -- Harper and Row thought it was too technical], and for the past forty-nine years, it has languished on my shelf, joined eventually by two other books -- about my family -- that were by their nature not really publishable. This morning, I posted The Rhetoric of Deterrence on box.net. Perhaps, half a century later, someone will find it of interest.

3 comments:

Ryan Andrew Murphy said...

I'd be curious to see the book — i even signed up for a box account... However i can't find the file by searching for "The Rhetoric of Deterrence".
Can you post a direct link?
Thanks.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

If you go to Box.net from my blog [link at the top], you shoud find it there, under archived files, etc., right after the several volumes of my autobiography.

Ryan Andrew Murphy said...

Thanks. Found it — and several other interesting articles! I'm especially interested in your critique of Nozick (whom i found persuasive, despite my anarchistic presuppositions). Cheers.